Forum Captain'sLog Crewlist CrewWanted BoatForsale Classifieds Boat Sailor
Captain Log ID: 1070
Title: Stuck in Liscomb Harbor, Nova Scotia
Boat Name(Id): BlueJacket ( 58)
Sailor Name(Id): Geoff Schultz ( 306)
Geo Region: Canada:Nova Scotia
Date of Occurance: 2008-09-03
Latitude: N 45º   1.08'
Longitude: W 62º   1.08'
Sender (if email-in): wcz5101@NO_SPAM
Earlier log from "BlueJacket":  1069
Newer log from "BlueJacket":  1071
        Page visited 549 times since created         Edit This Log

Ahoy from Spanish Ship Bay, Liscomb Harbor, Nova Scotia!

CanimWe stayed in port yesterday based upon the forecast and I worked on the watermaker. I got the new control panel that I had built up and running, but the water here is way to tannic to run the watermaker for a production run. During the day two other boats came in and anchored nearby. One was a large classic motor yacht named Canim, which is 96' and carries a full time crew of five.

This morning we headed out of the harbor at 7:30 and as we were about 1/2 of an hour out and getting ready to leave the shelter of the surrounding islands, we saw Camin coming back in. A few minutes later they hailed us to let us know that they were seeing sustained winds in the mid 30 kts with gusts to 43 kts. The seas were 2-4 meters (6-13 feet). They decided that it was too rough to continue, so they turned back. We decided that if a 96' boat found it too rough, that perhaps we should do the smart thing and head back too.

Spanish Ship BayWe also found out that one of their crew (a 6'th member!) had an absessed tooth and needed to see a dentist. Their tender wasn't functioning, so I offered to drop our dinghy and give "CC" a ride to shore where they had arranged for a car to take him to the dentist. CC is retired from the US Coast Guard and was onboard to help them move the boat. He's a medic and according to him, he's not supposed to get sick, but he's been having this problem for 5 days. I got him ashore and he's on his way to the dentist.

Right now it's raining and thunder is peeling through the skies. I guess that we made the right decision, but I sure want to get moving down the coast. Well, I guess that I can pull some wires for the new inverter/charger...

-- Geoff & Sue