Forum Captain'sLog Crewlist CrewWanted BoatForsale Classifieds Boat Sailor
Captain Log ID: 1069
Title: Spanish Ship Bay, Liscomb Harbor, Nova Scotia
Boat Name(Id): BlueJacket ( 58)
Sailor Name(Id): Geoff Schultz ( 306)
Geo Region: Canada:Nova Scotia
Date of Occurance: 2008-09-02
Latitude: N 45º   1.08'
Longitude: W 62º   1.08'
Sender (if email-in): wcz5101@NO_SPAM
Earlier log from "BlueJacket":  1068
Newer log from "BlueJacket":  1070
        Page visited 486 times since created         Edit This Log

Spanish Ship Bay HarborAhoy from Spanish Ship Bay, Liscomb Harbor, Nova Scotia!

After a long delay this morning to wait for the winds and the rain to subside, we headed out of Isaacs Harbor to Liscomb Harbor. The forecast had the winds at 15-25 kts, and based upon our experience, those estimates were probably low. As a result we only raised the jib, as we can run in any condition with that. The forecasts were pretty much correct, but we had thunderstorm after thunderstorm (minus the thunder) roll though and we rarely saw above 25 kts. Somehow or another I was able to dodge the extensive rain, that is until we made the turn towards the anchorage. Then we got well washed.

Spanish Ship Bay seems to be a popular area, based upon the number of homes dotting the hills. It provides wonderful scenery with rolling green hills and great views of the water. Part of the harbor is used for auqaculture, but that part is too shallow to anchor in. I can highly recommend this anchorage.

Right now we haven't decided if we'll spend another night here. There's a low parked off the coast that isn't moving and is providing a non-stop selection of various types of rain, fog and mist as well lots of wind.

-- Geoff & Sue

P.S. Here's the forceast that was just released at 06:30: Today, Tonight and Wednesday Gale warning in effect. Wind east 20 to 30 knots increasing to 25 to 35 near noon then diminishing to 20 to 30 late overnight. Wind veering to southeast 15 to 20 near noon Wednesday. Seas 2 metres building to 3 to 4 this afternoon then subsiding to 2 near noon Wednesday. Note that yesterday's forecast for today was for N at 20 kts going to E at 15 late in the day. Don't you love the consistency! I guess we're staying for a day or two...

For the cruiser:

When I first looked at the charts and began the approach into Spanish Ship Bay, I was a bit apprehensive and we tried to anchor just inside the mouth of the entrance. The holding was fair as we slowly dragged, so we decided to head into the bay. I closely followed the charts, favoring the east, and saw no less than 20 feet. Be sure to keep the buoys to port, as later in the day we saw a seal lounging on a rock just west of the buoys. Once inside we anchored in mud in 15' MLW.